Lead Concept Artist
About the Company
Focused on the future of filmmaking, Wonder Dynamics' mission is to revolutionize the production and post-production process by leveraging state-of-the-art AI. They are striving to democratize the use of visual effects which will pave the way for the next generation of filmmakers. That mission attracted some of the most influential individuals in the film and tech industry that are now involved in their team.
Wonder Dynamics is backed by Epic Games, Samsung, Horizons Ventures (a Hong Kong VC firm with early investments in Skype, Siri, Facebook and more) and Founders Fund, a leading Silicon Valley VC that funded some giants like Space X, Facebook, Spotify, DeepMind, etc.
Their Advisory Board consists of leaders in Hollywood and Silicon Valley:
- Joshua Baer, founder/CEO of Capital Factory;
- Terry Dougas, Producer and financier of Film and TV. Founder of Rhea Films,1821 Media
- Angjoo Kanazawa, assistant professor at UC Berkeley and Google research scientist;
- Joe Russo Director, screenwriter, and Producer (directed Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame)
- Robert Schwab - Private equity investor, President, and CEO of R&L Properties.
- Steven Spielberg - Film director, producer, and screenwriter
- Antonio Torralba - Professor and Head of AI and Decision making, EECS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Gregory Trattner - President, Film Finances Inc. (World leader in completion guarantees and film services)
About the Position
We’re looking for a Lead Concept Artist to develop iconic characters and memorable creatures for our content creation platform. We strongly believe in artists' empowerment, so the artist will have a very high level of creative freedom when designing characters. We like to enable artists to create characters that they prefer to make when they work on their passion projects. This is not a position where you are told what to do without the creative freedom!
You will be a key driver of the platform's vision and will help define the overall look and feel of a wide variety of characters, creatures, hard surface characters, and others.
We're looking for someone with a strong sense of design as well as the ability to creatively execute the highest-quality art. We value a tight-knit team that celebrates artistic freedom and pushing the creative bounds.
- Further the storytelling process by developing the look, personality and feel for the characters.
- Using traditional & technological approaches to create key designs of characters from a written or verbal brief in either a 2D or 3D environment
- Research topics and styles for points of reference and ideas to use in your designs
- Presenting a series of drafts of the concepts for approval
- Responding positively to creative feedback from art directors and other stakeholders and be proactive in adapting the concept accordingly
- Work closely with founders and creative director to design unique and compelling characters
- Work with internal CG / VFX teams to create specification sheets, accurately noting dimensions and details for modelers to follow
- Clearly explain and pitch your ideas to founders, art directors and modeling teams
- Explore a wide variety of ideas and push the boundaries of visual design
- A portfolio that demonstrates strong conceptual ideas and visual creativity to form original characters
- Creative vision to bring multiple characters to life in a 2D or 3D environment based on written and verbal direction
- Expert knowledge in standard art packages such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya Substance Designer, etc.
- Experience in Maya and Blender is a plus
- Demonstration and understanding of the Visual Effects and associated pipelines is a plus
- Strong communication and organizational skills
Why should you consider joining us?
At the intersection of film and technology, this job will offer a very unique experience, and you will be exposed to a diverse set of fields spanning from film production and visual effects to AI, machine learning, and computer vision. Because we are operating in the state-of-the-art territory, there will always be something new to learn on the horizon. We highly value our team and the support of our co-workers and strive to create the best environment to work in.
We offer a competitive salary, valuable stock options and comprehensive benefits that allow individual flexibility for all employees to choose what makes the most sense for their personal situation.
Wonder Dynamics is committed to a culture of flexibility, diversity, and fun for all of our employees. We are working on some of the most challenging technical problems and we know the solutions will come from all of us working together in an inclusive, transparent and open manner.
FLEXIBLE WORK OPTIONS: Remote, in-office & Hybrid opportunities available...